We hear and read about good-for-the-heart foods in adverts and magazines, such as oatmeal and berries, but there are many other delicious foods that also support heart health. Here are 5 surprising heart-healthy foods you should start eating!
- Coffee: What? Something many of us drink everyday can be good for you? Yes! Recent research have shown drinking 1-2 cups of coffee a day may lower the risk of heart failure. Pour some more!
- Cauliflower: This veggie is an underdog to most people. Little did we know how great cauliflower can be for you until recently! This cruciferous vegetable has been found to improve blood pressure and has anti-inflammatory nutrients.
- Tofu: This animal protein alternative lowers LDL cholesterol (the bad kind), which results in decreased risk of high blood pressure.
- Papaya: Filled with antioxidants, B & C vitamins, and much more, this buttery delicious fruit may prevent heart disease and lowers cholestertol. Bonus: this fruit is a great source of fibre!
- Dark Chocolate: You read it right! This yummy treat made from cocoa beans is rich in flavonoids, which has antioxidant qualities. Dark chocolate may improve blood flow to the brain and heart, and can lower blood pressure. Remember, not all chocolate is equally beneficial. Try to get the dark chocolate bar that’s higher in cacao percentage.
Do you know of any other surprising foods that are good for the heart? Tell us in the comments below!