With the Christmas season in full swing, most of us are trying to keep up with the chaos of last minute shopping, attending social events, festive decorations, etc. We’ve become too busy to even think about hitting the gym! In reality, this is the most important time to increase your cardio, because most (if not all) holiday events include indulging in delicious treats AKA “empty calories.” This is why I’ve complied five exercises you can easily do during your holiday shopping adventures.
- Browse the window displays and incorporate some lunges! You’ll get holiday inspiration while burning energy. If you wear a pedometer, you’ll be able to track your progress. Aim for 8,000 steps.
- Work your legs and butt while standing still in those treacherous long lines. Point your toe in front of you and lift your leg right under hip level, keeping your knee straight. Lower to the floor and repeat as many times as you can. Follow by pointing your toe behind you and lifting your leg the same height. Repeat until you need to move up in line.
- Park farther away & take the opportunity to burn a few extra calories by simply taking a short walk.
- If the shopping centre has more than one level, go for the stairs rather than using the escalator. It will serve as additional cardio, plus the extra weight of your bags is an added calorie-burning bonus.
- Work your core and credit card, ladies! While you’re power walking through the shopping centre, pull your belly button in towards your back. Hold it for 10 seconds and then release and repeat. This will help tone your glute muscles and strengthen your abs while you wait.
- Lift those weights…shopping bags that is! If you have multiple bags in your hands, try doing bicep curls while waiting in line or for the bathroom. Do 20 reps with light bags and 15 with heavier ones.
Happy Christmas & Shopping!