Since the Christmas holiday season is in full swing, why not indulge in the spirit of giving by gifting someone you know a little something chocolaty?
These layered mason jar holiday brownie mixes are the perfect gift for practically anyone on your list. I used crystal cane sugar, which has a slightly darker colour than white sugar, but feel free to use any type you want. All your recipient has to do is put the mix into a bowl, mix in butter and eggs, and bake!
For each jar you’ll need:
• 125g cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 300g white sugar
• 75g unsweetened cocoa powder
• 90g chocolate chips or nuts
• 1 quart mason jar
• 1 gift tag with instructions (see below)
• Decorative craft ribbon and/or bow
Recipe for gift tag:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a 9×13” pan.
2. Empty jar into a large mixing bowl and stir to blend.
3. Mix in 240 ml melted butter and 3 eggs. Stir thoroughly.
4. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
5. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Directions for assembly:
1. Begin with a clean, dry mason jar. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a small bowl. Pour into the mason jar (I made a funnel out of a piece of paper!) and tamp down with the back of a spoon or the bottom of a spice jar.
2. Layer 35g of cocoa powder into a jar and tamp down. Then layer 150g sugar and tamp down. Repeat once more with remaining cocoa powder and sugar.
3. Pour 90g chocolate chips or nuts (or 45g each!) into the top of the jar and secure the lid.
4. Add the decorative ribbon, bow, and gift tag, and get gifting!
Note: the layers will mix if tipped, so be sure to keep them level while transporting.
Gift ‘em to your neighbour, boss, teacher, or friend – who knows, maybe someone will share their brownies with you!