October is breast cancer awareness month! All month long people will help raise awareness for breast cancer by wearing or purchasing pink products. There will be breast cancer walks and events to help raise money for breast cancer research. Breast cancer is a very prevalent disease in our society, and is the most common type of cancer in the UK. There is a lot being done to spread awareness about breast cancer and how to detect it at home.
Here are 6 tips that you can incorporate into your daily life to help lower your risk of getting breast cancer.
- Use water filters in your home. This reduces your exposure to chemicals known to cause cancer and alter your hormones.
- Get in a good workout. Thirty minutes of moderate daily activity helps reduce estrogen releasing fat. Estrogen is vital to many bodily functions, however too much estrogen raises your risk for breast cancer.
- Clean your fruits and veggies before you eat them. Doing this helps remove cancer causing chemicals found in pesticides used to grow produce.
- Do monthly self-exams to be aware of any changes in your breast tissue. The more you are aware of any changes in your breast tissue, the more likely you are to find small lumps before they become cancerous.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption. The American Cancer Society says the more a woman drinks, the higher the risk of breast cancer. Opt for a mocktail instead.
- Avoid products containing hormones. Recent research states that hormone therapy can increase your risk for breast cancer.
These are simple tips that can be done to reduce your risk for getting breast cancer. For more information and helpful tips, visit the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
– Joshaunic Scott